Leeds Apprenticeship Hub
Taking on an apprenticeship can be life-changing. You can earn money, step into your chosen career and gain qualifications. Our Leeds Apprenticeship Hub offers you all the information you need about apprenticeships. We can also help you find an employer as part of your apprenticeship.
Apprenticeships are not only for young people. People of all ages are taking them on to progress at work, gain further qualifications or enter into a new career. Find out more about Sarah, who decided to retrain in her dream career by starting an apprenticeship at 50.
What is an apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a job with a salary. You will work for an employer who pays your wages. You will also have a training provider who supports you to achieve a qualification.
Who is part of an apprenticeship?
- You - the apprentice. There is no age limit for an apprenticeship but you must be over 16, out of full-time education and live in England.
- Employer - the business where you take on the apprenticeship. You are an employee working for the business.
- Training provider or college - they will set up your apprenticeship and help with your training. All apprenticeships involve training that makes up at least 20% of your apprenticeship. The training will lead to your qualification. You may study at the training provider or college, at work or online. You may study at the training provider or college, at work or online.
Levels of apprenticeship:
|Apprenticeship type||Level||Apprenticeship is equal to|
|Intermediate||2||5 x GCSEs|
|Advanced||3||2 x A levels|
|Higher||4,5,6 and 7||Foundation Degree and above|
|Degree||6 and 7||Bachelor's and Master's Degree|
You can start an apprenticeship at any level. Depending on the level, some apprenticeships may:
- need previous qualifications such as an English or maths GCSE
- give extra training in the English or maths skills needed so you’re at the right level
As an apprentice, you will:
- Get paid - the minimum apprenticeship wage for an apprentice in their first year is £4.30 per hour but many employers pay much more than this.
- Learn and train for a specific job
- Get hands-on experience in a place of work
- Complete assessments during and at the end of your apprenticeship
- Receive holiday leave and usual employee benefits
Find out more about apprenticeships
You can find out more about apprenticeship by visiting the national apprenticeship website.
Let's get you an apprenticeship
We have lots of apprenticeship vacancies right now across the city. Get in touch and let us help you get an apprenticeship.
Apprenticeships within Leeds City Council
We have thousands of people working within the council and we are a Top 100 Apprenticeship provider. Our apprenticeships are in a range of careers including Administration, Engineering, Management, Planning, Plumbing, Car Mechanics and Joinery.
Visit our apprenticeships within the council page.
Apprenticeships available in Leeds
Leeds Apprenticeship Festival 2021 - Meet the Exhibitors
Leeds Apprenticeship Festival 2021 was virtual for the first time. Over 75 exhibitors attended to discuss apprenticeships with Leeds-residents. Find out who exhibited at the event and watch their apprenticeship videos.
Follow us on social media, we often post local apprenticeship vacancies:
Are you aged 15-25?
Our Start in Leeds site is for young people. It gives you information on your options if you have left school or college.